Thursday 7 April 2016

Visiting local galleries

William Jones 
Chloe Gardner 

Today I took my small promo concertina and business cards and went into local art galleries.

I was very nervous starting off a conversation about my work and handing them a pack (so I was in the shop/galleries for some time building up the courage!) 

Lunes dale art and framing - 
This sold a lot of local artist gift cards of scenery, animals and some people. After showing the woman my pack she asked if I had made gift card before because she would happily show them in her shop if I brought some along. 
She was very keen to keep her shop selling and showcasing local people's work so would be more then willing to work with me. 
She mentioned a printers in Kirkby Stephan that would print for a good price. 

Finestra gallery
This sold original pieces, ornaments, cards  from local and professional artist. 
When showing the girl Working my card, she asked me what type of work do I do... A question that the other shopkeeper asked me which threw me off guard as the work I do was shown in my pack so I didn't know how else to explain. 
She also asked if I had exhibited my work before ... Which I hadn't so I felt quite out of my depth and 'stupid'.
However she said she would pass on my pack to to owners and handed me their business card suggested emailing the owners aswel. - I think this will be good as I will be able to think about what I say in the email to sound my professional and 'clued up' 
The girl gave me some advice for speaking to the owner : 

  • Know about pricing of your work as they take 50% so keep in mind what i would make after this. 
  • Cost of materials used 
  • my process - time it takes
  • originals? prints?
sending email to Finestra Gallery: 

Good morning,

My names Rebecca Williamson I live in Lupton, local to your gallery and will soon be graduating from Leeds collage of art after studying illustration. I have admired the artworks you exhibit and sell in your gallery for while now and on Thursday I popped in with a few examples of my work and spoke to a lady about my hope to exhibit my work with you.

The lady I spoke to was very helpful and suggested emailing you with regards to these interests along with my CV and examples of work.
In regards to my recent work, my pieces would exist as prints, which I could reproduce for sale. I also produced originals for commissions and would be happy to create originals for sales.  

I enjoy using detail as a way to express empathy within my work, forming personal and relatable connections between my Illustrations and the viewer. I usually use a mixture of pencils, watercolour and fine-liner to create my pieces, sometimes if appropriate I like to add colour digitally using Photoshop to pieces I plan to reproduce as prints. 


No comments:

Post a Comment