Wednesday 30 April 2014

OUIL406 evaluation

End of Module Self Evaluation

NAME

Rebecca Williamson

1.  What skills have you developed through this brief and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
Before this module I had never used adobe illustrator before, so the module has taught me how to use the basics, especially in studio brief 2 where I learnt how to create vectors with the pen tool etc. Because of my lack of knowledge, i did struggle with the brief, therefore I decided to carry on experimenting with illustrator for studio brief 3 in the hope it would build up my confidence and improve my skills as a illustrator. I discover how to use other tools such as the paintbrush tool which helped me create the floral polish pattern I used in the development of my person of note project.
In conjunction to illustrator, I have also experimented with using Photoshop more regularly, as this is also a program I need to become more confident with. Unlike other projects where I have used collage material to create work by hand, I instead scanned in collage material into Photoshop, and digitally enhanced it using the cloning tools to make it more complex and the levels tool to add contrast.



2. What approaches to/methods of image making have you developed and how have they informed your concept development process?

In studio brief 2 I used line to create the building vectors on illustrator, because the project was based on illustrator it limited me to just work with line and didn’t allow me to add tones and shadows I would usually add If I was drawing by hand, however this showed me that detail in not allows essential to make something look recognisable. I took this theory into studio brief 3 where I used line (outlines) for my postcard designs. This along with contextual reference from illustrators such as …… I used different width of lines to ad represent areas of block shadow and areas of block highlights, I feel combining this with the collage method I developed from previous projects works well as it creates a stronger contrast between complexity and simplicity.



3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I feel one of my strengths in this module, especially studio brief 2 and 3, Is that I have been able to show consistency in my stylistic choses in each final resolution, creating a strong set of recognisable and linkable work.
I feel I have also pushed myself to experiment with different techniques in the hope to build my confidence and skills, such as Photoshop and illustrator, i feel i have done this, and therefore have boarded my choice of methods to consider for other project.
I feel in this last brief I managed my time quite well, I have been able to evaluate my final resolutions a number of times and make any slight changes i felt would improve my work which I may not of noticed needed changing otherwise.




4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

 I feel a weakness in studio brief 1 was my ability to have a strong voice or opinion. This was a weakness to the majority of my group, there was no leader, we were all quite shy to be direct with ideas. This is something I will have to work on in the further, especially to prepare myself for after my degree, I will need more confidence to deliver and pitch my work to get recognised.
I feel one of my weaknesses in brief 2 was my lack of motivation and passion towards the project, because the project was based on a program (illustrator) I had no experience with, I immediately felt pessimistic about the brief and presumed my work would not be as visually interesting and professional as other peoples which made it hard to put the same amount of effort and time into it as I would other projects.


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Next time I will make sure to annotate my blog post of work/experiments each time I post them, as it will enable me to remember what I have articulated about the work.

When given a project with multiple resolutions required, I will make sure to spend a equal amount of time on both and develop them as best I can, rather then focusing more attention on one while the others lack development and therefore have a weaker impact.
Make sure I always

If any future projects require printed resolutions, I will make sure to book well I advance to avoid a mad rush.

Make sure I finish blogs for previous briefs and make alterations needed to the work before started a next brief so I don’t have multiple projects to think about at the end.

Try not to be outfaced at the beginning of projects or be negative towards them as this will inevitably lead to poor quality work.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance


x


Punctuality



x

Motivation


x


Commitment


x


Quantity of work produced


x


Quality of work produced


x


Contribution to the group

x



The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment